The Pendleton Somerby Electric Bike is perfect for commuting, for a relaxed ride popping in for coffee or doing light shopping before heading home. The ebike is one of the best selling woman’s ebikes thus far so deserves a review.
You can now cycle like an Olympian champion on the Somerby Electric Bike. The only difference compared to Victoria Pendleton is that you can enjoy electric pedal-assist.
Pendleton Somerby Electric Bike Table Summary
✅ Fitted with full-length mudguards.
✅ Offers you three (3) assistance settings to personalize your ride.
✅ Battery can provide 80 km and charges in 5 hrs.
⊖ Tires are a bit narrow.
⊖ Does not include a front light if riding at night.
What Makes The Pendleton Somerby E-Bike Special?
The Pendleton Somerby electric bike appeals to woman in need of a simple machine that looks great. The Somerby-E is similar to the Somerby town bike with a step-through frame. However, there is a difference, it has a battery pack placed in the rear pannier.
You can buy the Pendleton Somerby electric bike in a black, white & navy, black & rose gold or midnight Blue frame colors. You can select between a 17-inch or 19-inch frame to suit your height. The motor has three (3) power levels and helps remove the strain of pedaling up steep hills.
With the eight-speed Shimano Acera gears, riding becomes more comfortable on flat surfaces. Another fantastic thing is you can wear your best clothes without worrying about water running your trousers with the mudguard. You get it with a luggage rack and a sprung saddle to take on some of the worst potholes on the road.
Furthermore, it has a battery that ranges up to 50 miles (80 km) and perfect for cycling to work. You will arrive fresh at the office.
The Pendleton Somerby is the perfect city-commuter electric bike around town and winding country lanes. The bicycle frame has aluminum construction, weighs around 48 pounds (21 kg) and more substantial than most other electric models on the market.
The seats designed for upright riding and the color has a modern twist to it with brown faux leather handlebars. The bikes equipped with a Li-Ion Phylion battery that slides in beneath the rear storage rack. The cell has a 317Wh/8.8Ah capacity to reach up to 50 miles (80 km).
Further, it comes with a built-in smart control system and protects the battery from overheating. The battery takes up to 5 hours to re-charge and comes with a two-year warranty.
The Pendleton Somerby E has a rear hub Barfang motor system built into the rear wheel. The speed sensor automatically engages the engine once you start to pedal. Once you reach 15.5mph (24km/h), the motor stops automatically to keep you safe on the road.
Compared to most other electric bikes, this one also has a head-unit comprising a three-function LED display. You get a Low, Medium, and High level of power-assist. On the display/control, you have a push button to help you switch between the functions with an on/off switch.
You will see the display on the left side of the handlebar and has a compact size to help reduce damage when used. The fantastic thing is if you do run out of juice, you can use the gears and paddle it as a regular bike.
This ebike is outfitted with Tektro Aluminum V-brakes and Kenda 700x38c tires.
The maximum recommended rider weight is 264 pounds (119 kg) and made for woman cyclists. You receive the pedals included, and the stiff suspension is sure to last a long time. Furthermore, the bottom brackets sealed to accommodate a KMC 8-speed chain with chainguard.
Should You Buy the Electric Bike?
Personally, this would be a good investment, as it is a great electric bike to cycle around town and work, but there are many other reasons why the Somerby ebike is one of the best electric bikes to consider.
Good Reasons to Buy the Pendleton Somerby Electric Bike:
- The e-bike has a two-year (2) electrical and one-year (1) component warranty making it an excellent purchase. Halfords has made sure they have got you covered if anything happens with the bicycle.
- The frame and crank arm is alloy and durable to last a long time, and with the low step, you can quickly get on and off the bike. Even the frame comes with a two-year (2) warranty.
- Getting on and off the bike is comfortable with the step-through frame.
- You receive the charger and pedals included with your purchase. There are many other electric bikes sold without the pedals.
- The handlebar controller offers you three (3) settings to personalize your ride.
- You can enjoy a comfortable ride with the ergonomic grips and flat type handlebar in an upright position.
- The headsets threaded can reach up to 50 miles (80 km) with the motor while sitting on a sprung deep padded saddle.
- The Kenda 700x38c tires are ideal for cycling on flat surfaces, and the pedal-assist allows you to climb steep heels.
- With the rear-wheel motor, you can cycle at speeds up to 15 miles per hour (24 km/h).
- You can charge the battery directly on the frame or remove it with the supplied key to charge on its own. The cells placed discretely and do not get in your way.
- With the three (3) power levels, you can remove the strain of pedaling up steep hills.
- The controller is very straightforward to use.
- The gears are responsive and offer you a smooth ride, and the best of all is you can use it with or without the pedal-assist.
- The midnight blue color looks stylish and aesthetically pleasing for all to see.
Reasons not to Buy:
- The e-bikes a bit long and bulky making it less agile when weaving through traffic. While on country roads, it leaves you with a smile on your face.
- Tires are a bit narrow so they can get jammed between road cracks if not careful.
- Front light not included.
Is the Pendleton Somerby Electric Bike for You?
Just the fact that you can pedal it as a standard bike or use pedal-assist makes it one of the best pedelecs available on the market. With the bicycle, you can travel further and will not end up in a sweaty mess when reaching your destination.
Alternatively, the pedelec saves you money as it needs no filling up with fuel and you only need to keep the battery charged. An added benefit is that it is safe for you and the environment and gets you to work on time during rush hour.
With all the fantastic components such as the V-Brakes, LED display, Shimano Acera Gears, Sprung Saddle, Mudguards, and Luggage Rack what more can one ask.
The flick of power on the Somerby is addictive, and if you have never before considered cycling one, you must try it. Whether you are a casual cyclist or pro the Pendleton Somerby Electric Bike is perfect for riding around town and county lanes.
Images courtesy of Halfords.