Coming from one of the oldest bike manufacturers in Europe, Orbea Gain D40 is an road electric bike designed to enhance your ride.
|What we liked||Things for improvement|
✅ The motor is powerful enough considering its size; it is also not too visible, making it look like a standard bike.
✅ The battery is hidden inside the frame and very discreet.
✅ This e bike can connect to your smart phone or to a smart watch if you like.
✅ Build-in start-up switch for an easy initial run, change of assistance level and battery level check-up.
⊖ The motor only provides assistance for up to 25 km/h.
⊖ There is no step-through frame available yet.
⊖ There is no headlight, rear light and pedals attached to this e bike.
It is essentially a road bike, but can also give a whole new dimension to your daily commute. Just keep in mind it’s not as comfy as a touring bike for the long rides :).
Outstanding power and energy concepts, as well as minimalist commands and app integration, are just a few of the things that makes it a winner.
Wondering how it performs? Find it out in our Orbea Gain D40 2019 review.
Orbea Gain D40 Main Features & Technical Aspects
- Model: Gain D40.
- Class: Pedelec or Pedal Assist
- Rims: ready GR alloy rims (tires up to 40c).
- Tires: Hutchinson Fusion 5 all season TLR 700 x 28c & TLR 700 x 25c.
- Brakes: Shimano RS405 hydraulic discs.
- Standard crossbar aluminum 6000 series frame.
- Carrier and Mudguards compatible.
- 400mm carbon flat mount.
- Ebikemotion X35, 36V – 250w with a torque of 40N.m.
- This motor delivers enough power to reach 25km/h.
- Ebikemotion 36V/6.9A.
- Check bellow for more details regarding how to read your battery life.
- Built-in frame power button, where you can change the level of assistance (3 modes) and others (explained further down this review).
- Your smart phone can be connected with the iWoc One.
- Shimano groupset.
- Shifter: Shimano ST-RS405.
- Shimano Tiagra HG - 500; ten (10) speed.
Aggressive lines and exceptionally low weight make it a great choice for the open road.
The main thing to notice in a bike is undoubtedly its frame. Clearly, Orbea knows just how to maintain flawless road bike lines without giving a hint that it might be an electric model.
A nice thing if you want to impress a bunch of friends with your pedaling performance before revealing the secret.
Made from aluminum alloy, it comes in standard crossbar design. Unfortunately, ladies won’t have the possibility to choose a step-through electric bike like the Trek Verve + 🙁 but, luckily though, you’ll have plenty of sizes to choose from for all body frames and heights).
This bike is made to amplify, not dominate your ride, and it meets its purpose wonderfully.
The Orbea Gain ebike comes in all frame sizes from extra-small to extra-large to accommodate riders from 160cm tall to 190 cm tall.
Fork, Tires and Brakes
Its gravel bike sturdiness makes it ideal for weekend getaways, and you can rest assured you’ll get smooth rides on all terrains. The carbon fork combines with the shockproof bar tape and enhances comfort.
However, it comes with saddle and tires made for road. These all-season tires come mounted on lightweight alloy rims that further contribute to enhancing performance.
Exceptional braking power is given by the Shimano hydraulic disc brakes that can stop motion almost instantly. Thanks to its clearance, you can also mount a variety of tire sizes from 25c to 40c.
While the Orbea Gain doesn’t seem an e-bike at first glance, it does come with a battery hidden its frame. A powerful battery that is capable of providing assistance for up to 120 km.
Like it’s easy to imagine, the actual run time depends on various conditions, including your weight and type of terrain you’re riding on.
Nevertheless, you can still expect a satisfactory performance of the battery.
This e-bike model utilizes a 36V Ebikemotion InTube, which outputs 250Wh; it’s not as performing as the Bosch batteries, but it’s expandable. Tuning it up would mean investing more in an already expensive bike though.
Fully drained, the battery recharges in approximately 3 hours, which isn’t bad, but it isn’t exceptional either.
At least the quality of the battery is superlative, and you can expect it to have a long lifespan.
Motor Efficiency & Performance
Orbea Gain comes with a rear hub motor by Ebikemotion that complements the battery and enhances power. This innovative propulsion system is almost invisible on the bike and has little impact on the overall balance. Yet, it drives your vehicle up to 25 km/h.
What strikes about this motor is that it delivers a real bike feeling. It weighs less than 12 kg and ensures reliable assistance on flat terrains and inclines.
We particularly like the rear hub design that will let you experience drag-free pedaling when the assisted mode is turned off.
Another nice thing is the possibility to get power on demand. Orbea Gain D40 doesn’t come with a bulky control panel on the handlebar, but a sleek, discreet button on the tube.
Not only you’ll get a chance to mount a bike GPS if you wish, but the button lets you select from 3 assist modes, so you can get either top performance or top run time.
Hint: level of assist
When you press the button, you will see three (3) different colors flashing.
- White: means there is no assistance.
- Green: you have level 1 assistance.
- Orange: level 2 of power.
- Red: maximum level provided by the e-bike.
You’ll also be surprised how versatile this button is. You can use it to check the assist level and view the battery charge, all thanks to the innovative color codes provided by LED lighting.
Hint: button colors to check your battery
- While: the battery level is above 75%.
- Green: your battery is between 50 and 75% charge.
- Orange: battery level from 25 to 50%.
- Red: constantly flashing means the battery is bellow 10%.
Through smart connectivity, the bike also connects to a smartphone and smart-watch compatible app that enables deeper control.
The app integrates other useful features too, such as ride tracking and GPS route uploading.
Other features are:
- Activate the bike with voice commands (if smart phone is connected through Bluetooth).
- Turn on and off the Orbea D40.
- Receive alerts and notifications of any deficiencies of the e-bike.
- Enable / disable locking systems and security (if configured).
What we liked and don’t liked
So, lets have a look to what the D40 can do for you or what can be better for a nicer ride:
Orbea Gain D40 Positives
- Built-in battery system and discreet rear hub motor.
- Gravel bike frame and capabilities.
- Hydraulic brakes stop the bike almost instantly and enhance safety.
Gain D40 to Improve
- This bike is only available in a crossbar frame model but there is different sizes to choose from.
- Even though the smartphone app can give all what you need, the use of a separate LCD controller could be a better choice considering the good quality of some of those in the market.
What to Consider Before Buying
There are quite a few positive traits that could make you take out your wallet and buy this bad boy. Its main drawback, however, is the price.
Orbea is a Spanish brand renowned for the reliability of their bikes, so that’s a big plus. But there are other performing e-bikes out there that come with better batteries and motors and cost less than this one.
On the positive side, this is a lightweight bicycle, suitable to use on paved terrains and ideal for riding with or without assistance.
It even comes in sizes to fit all riders, and impresses with flawless aesthetics; furthermore, you can even choose from a variety of tire sizes. Just what you need if you want to customize your ride.
The Orbea Gain D40 2019 is an excellent e-bike. It offers reliability and suitability to ride on road terrains, which makes it an expensive bike. In the end, whether it’s worth or not depends on your needs and preference.
If you want an e-bike that looks just like a regular one, Orbea offers a great choice. It delivers smooth rides, and you have plenty of possibilities to customize it.
However, if you’re aiming for utmost power, perhaps you should look elsewhere. Orbea Gain is designed to enhance, not dominate your ride, and it will unlikely reach the stated 25 km/h.
All in all, though, the Orbea Gain D40 e-bike is outstanding. If you aim to enhance your off-road riding experience or daily commute, we truly recommend it.
Images courtesy of Orbea
Do you have experience with this e-bike?