The Trek Super Commuter +9 Electric Bike has a Lot to Offer but Can It be as Good as the Brand Says?
– Fitted with full-length mudguards.
– The SuperNova lights delivers a strong beam.
– The fram actually looks nice considering how big the battery looks.
| THE CONS
– It is a heavy electric commuting bike but with good components.
– Seems more suited for men than women.
– It only has a single gear, which can be not ideal for area with a lot of climbing.
With the Bosh motor and assist levels you get up to 15 miles per hour (24 km/h). Furthermore, it is equipped with well made components and have a healthy range with flexible assistance.
One of the things clearly noted is that it may not be available in other colors. Despite of this, the black matte looks good.
The Pulsing Heart of the Trek Super Commuter
The first thing you will notice is the incredible power to enjoy a smooth rolling ride with loads of comfort.
For power to go up hills and cycle on flat surfaces, the it has a powerful Bosch Performance CX motor.
Most of the brand e-bikes are powered with Bosch motors!
The 500Wh battery unit is neatly built-in and secured with an ABUS lock and key.
With the Bosch Purion system at the riser handlebar, you can keep an eye on the battery status, motor, and lights.
You have different power modes, and you can choose the type of pedal-assistance offered.
For maximum power, you can select the Turbo setting but, it can take its toll on the battery use.
The fantastic thing is that the display is easy to use and offers all the information needed.
Now, if you want to ramp it up, you can use the Sports setting and that will help to increase your cadence.
Alternatively, if you want to enjoy a purer experience when cycling, you can turn the assistance down using the Eco and Tour settings.
And if you prefer a workout, turn off the pedal-assist, which is suitable for the brave cyclists.
With a fully charged battery, you can reach up to 24 miles (38 km) depending on the power setting used.
Another standout is that it can be charge while in the battery is in the frame.
The battery is removable though so you can lock and secure the ebike.
The fork has a carbon structure and securely bolted with axles and equipped with Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires.
Even with the extra weight on the Pedelec, you get a carbon fork offering you the best quaility and comfort.
Should You Buy the E-Bike from Trek?
Taking the price into consideration, it remains affordable compared to other commuter electric bikes.
Here are some excellent reasons why you should consider buying it.
Good Reasons to Buy it:
– The wide rims offer you a consistent grip on flat surfaces.
– Included are full-length mudguards to ride in the worst weather without spoiling your trousers.
– The NuVinci hub gear found at the rear wheel offers a constant and changeable function controled by the grip-shift style shifter.
– Even the gear indicator is fun instead of using the boring numbers and demonstrated in animation form.
– The front lights deliver ample illumination when cycling at night and sources power from the battery, this means you will have lights all the time as long as the battery is charged.
– You can adjust the saddle according to your height and the flat pedals are comfortable to wear with your casual shoes.
– Included is a pannier rack and perfect for commuting to work without having the rucksack on your back.
– The CX motor drive unit allows for the best speed up to 15 mph.
– With the battery, you can charge it with any household power point, and it is removable.
– Incorporated is a simple and lightweight display to check your distance, speed, and battery cycle.
– You can use it as a pedelec or deactivate the assistance (if feeling like doing an extra workout).
Furthermore, it is made with a Hydroformed frame to last a lifetime.
Reasons not to get it:
– While the tires offer you a comfortable ride on a flat surface, it can be tiring on rougher areas.
– The Magura MT brakes are impressive but not as powerful as found on other commuter model such as the Phantom Santa Fe Classic.
– Compared to most other lightweight electric bikes and on the heavy side (weighs 50.71 lbs (23 kg)). If required, remove the battery to reduce the weight.
This electric bike has a high-performance frame with comfortable control traveling at high speed.
With the full mudguards, front & rear lights, and rear rack it has a sleek look.
The front light kicks out 1100 Lumens and the rear ones neatly place on the back mudguard.
The motor unit is exceptional and the built-in battery give it a sophisticated look and balance.
For protecting the motor in any condition, it has a motor armor while the Harmony N380 offers automatic variable shifting.
Whether you want a workout or in need of not breaking a sweat, it is one of the best city commuter electric bikes for 2018.
The motor runs quietly, and you can hear the birds chirping in the park.
So what do you think — if still uncertain why not head over to your nearest dealer and try this great pedal-assist bike out. You can cruise along with the assisted electric motor instead of relying on your legs to do the work.
The truth is that even hardcore cyclists find the pedelec fun to ride and might replace your car.
So far, it has gained popularity among many day to day cyclists, which have found the Trek Super Commuter +9 pleasing to use.
Images courtesy of Trek ebikes GB