The Surface 604 Shred is one of the latest throttle electric mountain bikes on the market. The Shred is built to navigate mountainous terrain while still being suitable for easy trails and urban biking.
The 604 Shred is a hard tail model with a Class 2 throttle on demand and Class 3 speed pedalec. It will give you peace of mind to know that this bike comes with a one (1) year comprehensive warranty and three (3) years warranty on the frame (directly with the manufacturer).
Please be aware of the local legislation regarding electric bikes that use a throttle configuration. Check our article about electric bikes without pedal assist for more information.
Check below the pros and cons of this throttle electric bike.
Surface 604 Shred e-mountain bike Table Summary
✅ Affordable compared against other mountain electric bikes. ✅ The motor has good torque, this translates to power. ✅ Supports multiple upgrades. ⊖ Heavy electric bike compare to other models. ⊖ No manual override of the assist capability. ⊖ Display panel can be a bit bright for night riding
✅ Affordable compared against other mountain electric bikes.
✅ The motor has good torque, this translates to power.
✅ Supports multiple upgrades.
⊖ Heavy electric bike compare to other models.
⊖ No manual override of the assist capability.
⊖ Display panel can be a bit bright for night riding
Let’s review the Surface 604 Shred in more detail.
Surface 604 Shred – Technical Aspects
- This electric bike has a total weight of 64.4 lbs (or 29.21 kgs) where the battery weight accounts for 7.1 lbs (or 3.22 kgs).
- The high-step frame is an aluminum alloy finished in satin black and grey, and it has two possible frame sizes of 17.5 and 19 inches.
- The handle bar is an alloy low-rise, 650 mm length, with a 6 degrees back sweep and black rubber grips for control.
- It also has attachment points for a rear rack and bottle cage bosses, and a sturdy forged alloy seat post.
- This bike’s stem is an alloy structure that is fully adjustable up to 40 degrees, 50 mm long, with a 20 mm stack height (or two 10 mm spacers).
- The 604 Shred features a 9 speed drive train, a set of 180 mm hydraulic disc brakes, an integrated headlight, aluminum alloy pedals and a fully adjusting kickstand.
- The cranks are alloy-based with sealed bearings, tapered spindle and a 38-teeth chain ring.
- The frame fork has a 30 spring suspension for smooth riding, lockout and preload adjusting compression, 100 mm hub spacing and a quick-release skewer axle. In contrast, the rear frame has 138 mm hub spacing and an axle with threaded flats.
- We can all agree that great bike tires are essential for optimum riding performance.
- The rims are made of double-walled aluminum alloy with a black finish.
- The stainless steel spokes have 13 and 12 gauge for the front and rear respectively, and each wheel size measures 27.5 inches in diameter.
- These plus-sized tires are built to contain between 20 to 31 PSI (or 140 to 240 KPa) of pressured air for steady handling of rugged terrains.
Electronic & Power Specs
This Shred model has a rear-mounted motor with 500 watts of output maxing out at 750 watts at peak performance. This motor also has 50 meters of torque for an optimized response.
The Surface 604 gets to a top speed of 28 mph (or 45 kph). The drive mode features advanced pedal assistance and a trigger throttle.
Since this is an electric bike, it’s important to consider the battery life and charging speed.
The lithium-ion battery consists of 48 volts and 10.4 amp hours, with the capacity to store almost 500 watt hours. The full charging time is six (6) hours to get to maximum capacity.
There is an alternative if you require more battery power. You can upgrade to a 700watts, which is 48V and 14amps.
The battery on this model yields between 20 to 45 mph (or 32 to 72 kph).
LCD Bafang controller
The highly interactive backlit monochrome display gives updates on the battery level, current speed and assistance mode.
You will also able to track your trip and total distance, as well as your average and maximum speeds – which are all great for bragging rights afterwards.
Advantages and Disadvantages
The initial reviews of the Surface Shred depict a mix of advantages and disadvantages. However let’s first consider the cons.
Things to improve on
- The display panel can be a bit bright for night riding and it is not removable – although it has some degree of tilt.
- The adjustable handlebar is comparatively shorter than exclusive mountain bikes and its flexibility can reduce the degree of control on rugged terrains.
- This is a heavier electric bike, as its spring fork and battery weigh more than other bikes.
- The battery position is a bit low, which could hinder access for charging.
- The location of the headlight and the kickstand means that they will likely bounce around a lot on rough surfaces.
- A bit of finessing is also required for maintenance, as the shifting cable and motor power cables are closely placed.
- A major issue is that there is no manual override of the assist capability, as all adjustments must be made through the interactive display even when you are riding.
Now, we know there a lot to consider with the cons, however there are important pros that can provide the answers you need.
- The first pro of the Surface 604 Shred is its relative affordability compared to other electric mountain bikes.
- It has a good weight distribution throughout, with cables integrated into the frame and motor inhibitors in place for safety.
- The motor exhibits good torque with very responsive top and bottom cadence sensors, and there is no resistance or mashing when shifting.
- The headlight has strong beams; also the hard-tail and add-on rack and bottle cage bosses make it suitable for urban use.
- The battery can be removed for separate charging from the bike and it lasts long enough to sustain long bike trips in between full charging.
- This electric bike supports multiple upgrades to key areas, such as the suspension fork. This model has great support for its large tires, as its rims and spokes are also larger than usual to accommodate them.
- You also have the ability to adjust the top speed on this electric bike to suit the particular trail requirements.
It is safe to say that the advantages of the Surface 604 Shred outweigh its limitations.
Surface 604 Shred Purchasing Considerations
Overall this throttle electric mountain bike is a good option for all type of rides. It is also affordable relative to other exclusive mountaineering electric bikes such as the Savadeck Knight 9.0.
The flexibility of this bike across a variety of terrains makes it a great value for riders who bike-commute and also ride for fun.
The adjustable frame heights make it quite suitable for use across mixed heights riders. The weight capacity of 285 lbs, also makes it a good option for all riders.
The Surface 604 Shred is a valuable addition to the electric bikes collection, and a strong contender for your city rides and rugged outback explorations.
Where to buy the Surface 604 Shred?
If you are considering to invest in a good throttle eMTB bike, check our partner’s website (details below):
Images courtesy of Surface604 bikes.