Bike shops that sell Stromer ST5:
The Stromer ST5 is an electric bike with a difference that comes at a very high price.
The Stromer ST5 was designed to replace your car. It is basically thanks to the integrated battery and efficiency of the motor.
While its commercial value is very high, the components used to design and built this Swiss made beautiful electric bike are high-end made.
Compared to other competitor building similar commuter ebikes, such as Giant with the Giant Quick E+ e bike 2019, Stromer has a lot to offer for daily commuters. Maybe more!!!
Of course, it is important to know what its limitations are so let’s find out why you could consider buying or not the ST5 electric bike through this review.
Stromer ST5 Specs
– Class: S-Pedelec (C3).
– 48Nm torque.
– Material: aluminum alloy.
– Type: high step.
– 178 cm (M) to 188 cm (XL).
– Range (av): 110 miles (180 mk).
– Chemistry: Li-Ion (985Wh).
– Volt & Amp: 48v
– Charging Time: 6 hrs
|DRIVE-TRAIN SYSTEM||– Shimano.
– 11 speed.
|TOP SPEED||– 28 mph (45 km/h)||BRAKES||– Stromer hydraulic disk.
– Quad -piston system.
|CONTROLLER||– OMNI LCD touch screen.||OVERALL WEIGHT||– With battery: 30 kg (66 lbs).|
|RIDING MODES||– Four (4): 1,2,3 and sport.||TIRES AND SUSPENSION||Tires:
– 27.5″ Pirelli.- Puncture resistant.
– None for the 2019 model. Front suspension for the 2020 model (limited).
The Custom-Made Stromer ST5
Forgetting about the price and weight, the Stromer ST5 has a few custom-made elements:
- Tubular alloy fender, which will catch any dirt when wet.
- Front and rear lights. Front light is embedded in the frame.
- Automatic locking system using a smart phone.
- Touch screen controller paced on the top bar.
- Integrated horn.
For a battery with a range of 110 miles (180km), you could think of how heavy it could be (4.44 kg – 9.8 lbs)).
For this reason, the battery can always be removed to lessen the weight, especially before trying to mount it to an automobile rack.
The best of all is that the heaviness has no impact on the acceleration.
The frame and fork have an aluminum alloy structure, which gives more than enough strength and durability
In terms of the available colors, there use to be green navy and now graphite. I think the green navy was perfect.
The head and rear light display is extra-bright when you pull the brake lever. This is beneficial for oncoming traffic to see you, especially at night.
Standout Features Driving the Stromer ST5 ebike
The first thing you will notice is the powerful gearless SYNO Sports hub motor.
The engine runs quietly, has a durable design, and lessens friction.
Further, it offers regenerative braking with five (5) levels of recoup. The fantastic thing is it can simulate hills climbs and recharges the battery when cycling long descents.
The braking systems is powerful enough (4 piston design) that also reduces wear on the hydraulic disks.
Alternatively, the system is more complex, and they have updated the plug design with HIRT.
The rear-wheel service is comfortable, and with the single cable, the design offers less clutter.
Another fantastic thing is that the motor is separate from the pedal drive-train and does not interfere while shifting. No matter in what gear you pedal, it accelerates continuously.
The ST5 is not rear-heave as the battery is positioned in the frame and equipped with an 11-speed Shimano XTR derailleur.
The derailleur shift is electronically with Di2 and helps re-position the chain every time.
Near the left grip, is a button-style trigger offering multi-step shifts when pressed.
You can fine-tune the Di2 system shifting by holding the button found on the black port at the backside of the seat tube for a couple of seconds.
Charging the e-bike’s battery is done through this port and is not connected to the battery.
The ST5 is equipped with a Lithium-ion battery, which is 48 volts and 20.2 amp hours with a total 983-watt-hours.
Included, you receive a bulky charger that puts out 4.5 amps of fast charging with a magnetic charging tip.
One more highlight is the OMNI LCD color screen. With the rubberized button below the screen, you can view the ride and set menus.
You need to use the display to eject the battery pack.
With the LCD screen, you can view your current speed, battery level, and assist levels and so much more.
Further, the display has a light sensor that shifts from a white to black background automatically. Once you connect your iOS or Android device, you can adjust the speed settings, acceleration and more.
What is new in the Stromer ST5 2020?
As you could have seen, the 2019 model was already stunning. However, for some riders was not complete.
That is why the Swiss company Stromer, desided to launch a limited edition with a 2020 model.
This is what was modified:
- Front suspension for a more comfortable ride.
- Rear rack included to mount a customized panier
- Seatpost suspension to further absorb bumps and,
- a stealth green that likely is more attractive.
Of course, this modifications defenitely improve the overall performance and comfort of the riding experience but also increases the price.
Should You Buy The ST5?
If you have the money to spend, this would be a great buy considering its coolest features and design.
The Stromer ST5 2020 model is one of the most luxurious and influential ebike to date in Europe. However, as with any product it has its difficulties.
Reasons to Buy:
- When riding close to automobiles, you get a sense of confidence and control as the electric bike reaches up to 29.5 mph (45 km/h) quickly.
- The e-bike may lack suspension (2019 model), but offers you a comfortable ride with all-alloy frame and no vibration.
- With the 27.5-inch x 2.4-inch Pirreli tires you get enough cushioning and control when cycling.
- The bike has a clean design without exposed wires, making it look stealthy.
- Powerful 850W hub motor that runs quietly.
- You can charge the battery pack while in the frame. In addition, you can remove it if required.
- When riding bumpy terrains, the tubular alloy fenders are sturdy and stable enough to support a rear rack.
- Included is bottle cage bosses found on the down tube to take your beverage with you.
- The OMNI LCD controller screen is in color and offers you a top level of assist in bright red to distinguish what mode is selected.
- The drive-train has an excellent design and offers you ample gears when climbing hills.
- The derailleur has a one-way clutch and keeps the chain tight when taking on bumpy rides.
- The LED light, on the front, has a USB port to maintain your phone connected when riding.
- The battery can be charged with solar power.
- The pedal assist feels responsive as it relies on the TMM4 torque sensor.
- With the built-in wireless technology, you can receive software updates while on the move.
Reasons not to Buy:
- The updated kickstand without spring-loaded auto-stow is perfect but can still block the left pedal when you back the bike up.
- For an electric bike, it is heavy (approx 30 kg) but the motor has enough power to move it.
- Expensive compared to most other e-bikes but it is worth the money based on current buyer’s opinion.
- The bolts securing the wheels are T70 star driver, which is somehow rare to find.
- The frame was built only for people with height between 1.78cm and 1.85 cm.
- If too many issues with you local regulations (Europe regulates reflective tires).
- The handlebar cannot be adjusted or replaced for an adjustable one.
Final Thought on the Stromer ST5 commuter ebike
The ST5 electric bike is satisfying to ride along without looking at the LCD screen or shifters.
If you forget to downshift, the motors powerful enough to get you back up to speed for quick climbs without pedal support.
It has a touch screen with GPS tracking and anti-theft system. The electronic shifting is perfect, and the hydraulic disc brakes cool off fast.
Additionally, both brake levers light up the rear light and recoup with five levels to go up steep heels or recharge the battery.
With the sturdy alloy fender, anti-shock seat post, custom Pirelli tires, premium grips, saddle, Bluetooth connection, and auto-locking system what more can be asked.
All this strong features makes this commuter luxury electric bike a temptation. This at the same time makes me think if could be the right one.
So far, customer services is good but I’m sure replacing a faulty part could cost you a lot. But anyway, if you are buying it is because you have the moner, right?
All in all, if you have the money to expendend in buying the Stromer St5 electric bike, and, if the local regulations allow, I would defenitely invest on this beauty.
Remember that the speed reached with this ebike can be regulated at some States. Check your local regulations before buying.
Images courtesy of Stromer
Frame & Components Quality5.0/5
Speed & Torque (motor)5.0/5
Controller & Assistance5.0/5
Portability & Maneuverability5.0/5
What we like
- ✅ Fast acceleration and stability.
- ✅ Battery pack can be charge at home or using solar energy while riding.
- ✅ LCD controller with high-end features.
What we do not like
- Heavy ebike rating at 30 kgs (with battery in place).
- Price is a bit high but you will be riding a high-end ebike.
- Replacing parts ONLY sold thru certified shops.